Sunday, February 19, 2012

Enjoying It While It Lasts

So I may be counting the days until I no longer am gainfully employed, however it doesn't mean I'm not loving each day I count. I am especially grateful for the weekends. The past few weekends have been truly memorable. Brandon got a boat just a few weekends before the layoff (I think I mentioned that before), so we've been going to Buck Island quite frequently. The days are enjoyable and relaxing and crazy fun all at the same time. The nights have been frivolous and exciting. The work days are short (standard 8-hours as opposed to 10, 11 or 12), the evenings are productive, and the weekends are crazy.
Last weekend a bunch of us went to St. Thomas. Suz, B, Mer, Yanc, Sach, and I left after work Friday and arrived just in time for happy hour. It was a short flight by seaplane to hop over to our neighboring US Virgin Island, and the weekend was off to a great start. The evening's events included drinks at the hotel, appetizers at a near-by restaurant, drinks, more drinks, and some late night snacking. Saturday was a ferry skip over to St. John and Margarita Phil's for 32oz margaritas, and a day of laughter. Chiso met us back in St. Thomas... showing up late since he had some Saturday morning obligations. Sunday was the final day of our weekend getaway. Lunch at Hooters (St. Thomas feels so stateside-like) and a monorail up to the top of the mountain. Everyone left a little earlier than Chiso and I. We stayed for a couple more hours enjoying island drinks, the ferris wheel, and good company.
It is going to be a shame when we all have to leave here. No more weekend getaways, no more boat days, no more sunshine, and worst of all, saying goodbye to all the friends I've made. Who knows when I'll get to see any of these people again after this. I hope I never forget any of these experiences... any of these people... or any moment of my life on the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment