Saturday, October 8, 2011

Jumping

When you jump you take a risk. When I graduated college I jumped into a new life called grad school. I jumped into a new state, a new city, and a new school. When I decided to no longer pursue my PhD I jumped again. That time I jumped into a totally different life situation: full-time career like job, tropical island, new culture, new friends, new life again. This weekend I made another jump... less figuratively though.

In the past I've jumped out of an airplane, off a cliff into a river, off a swing as a child, from a diving board, and on my bed. This weekend I decided to jump off a pier. Saturday I met my friend Chad and headed out to Rainbow Beach on the west end of the island. It was a good day for the beach, the sun was out, the water was cool, the drinks were good. The co-op's, Meredith and Sacha, met up with us, and Chad had a couple friends out there as well. The day was fun, the sun went down, and after having some great pizza for dinner at a place called Lost Dog (they made pineapple and pepperoni which was fantastic) we decided to go back to the pier and jump off. Where we were the ocean was about 20ft deep but you could see to the bottom it was that clear. The pier was about 10ft high off the water level. We jumped. I jumped. I just let go and jumped. I am so glad I did too, because it was a lot of fun. Needless to say I am glad I didn't know then what I know now, else I probably wouldn't have done it.

When you jump you take a risk. Apparently sharks do a lot of feeding around that pier, and are most active at night. Great... well I'm glad I didn't get eaten by a shark.

No comments:

Post a Comment